5 Best Water Fountain That My Cat Loves: 2019 Review
Cats just hate water!
No matter how hard you try, she will likely not drink the water in the bowl, unless you become a lil' creative.
By creative, I don't mean cheating her into drinking water, but using enticing ways that will attract the cat into drinking lots of water. That way, both of you get super happy.
My secret to getting my cat to drink water daily without being forced is using a water fountain for cats.
My favorite water fountain is the Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain (check current price). Its has 168 oz. capacity, its BPA-free and has an adjustable stream.
What I love about cat fountains for cats is that they imitate the kitchen sink: the cat will drink from free-falling water.
But this time, you refill the fountain, and the water will continue running as long there is water inside there. Quite intelligent I must say!
The cat fountain's free-flowing nature can encourage your cat to drink more as well as supply unlimited access to water. Plus, it will help your cat stay hydrated.
Top 5 Best Water Fountains for Cats
This original Petsafe fountain is powered by electricity to provide a continuous flow. If you have more than one cat, getting the extra 6.25 cup (50 ounces) back up reservoir will come in handy.
The replaceable activated carbon filter in this fountain gets rid of tap water odor and taste giving you’re a reason to love drinking water. The 5o ounces of water is aerated continuously to maximize the oxygen absorption in every sip.
The free-falling stream keeps the water fresh and also entices cats to drink more. This fountain has a receiving ramp which reduces noise and splash of falling water. The fountain itself completely disassembles for easy cleaning and is dishwasher friendly.
Features of Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain
- Holds 0.4 gallons
- Adjustable flow control.
- Best for cats and small or medium dogs.
- All parts are made of BPA- free plastic.
- For indoor use only.
- 6-feet long power cord with inline connection.
- Easy to fill.
- The 5-inch free falling water allows your cat to drink from any angle.
- Simple to set up.
- The broad base makes it hard for cats to tip it over.
- It gets noisier if the water level runs low.
- Disassembling for cleaning is hard.
- Not ideal for multiple cats.
How Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain Works (Video)
2. Pioneer Pet Raindrop Drinking Fountain (Best Stainless Steel Water Fountain)
If you have a cat who prefers a gentle, bubbling flow to a splashing stream, then this fountain is perfect for you. It provides a gently moving stream of water that smoothly flows from the top level into the lower dish.
This vet-recommended fountain comes with a replaceable charcoal filter that rids tap water the bad taste and odor. The stainless steel surface keeps bacteria from building up hence protecting your cat from infections. The circulating water increases your cat’s drive to drink water.
This fountain comes with a drinking fountain, a power cord, and a replaceable charcoal filter.
- Low noise.
- A beautiful design.
- Safe and hygienic for cats.
- Dishwasher safe.
- It has a small capacity
- Lacks a foam filter to keep hair and other particles out of the pump.
- Not ideal for cats that prefer a free-falling stream.
- No adjustable flow control.
- Do not attempt repairs on the motor on your own.
- If the plug gets wet, turn off the electricity to the outlet; do not attempt to unplug it.
- Do not let your children chew on or swallow any fountain parts.
- The outlet should always be above the level of the fountain.
How Pioneer Pet Raindrop Stainless Steel Pet Drinking Fountain Works (Video)
3. Catit Water Fountain (100 Ounces Capacity)
This fountain has a colorful flower accessory to encourage finicky cats to drink water. It is designed to provide three flow settings: free-falling streams, a gently bubbling top or a gentle stream.
- 100 ounces water capacity.
- The softening filter is designed to capture unwanted minerals plus hairs or debris that could potentially clog the pump.
- It has an adjustable flow control cap.
- It provides a healthy drinking posture due to its ergonomic design.
- It has a whisker-friendly top surface.
- It is appealing to the eye.
- It less hygienic compared to stainless steel or ceramic fountains since it is made from BPA-free plastics.
- The manufacturer does not recommend dishwashing.
Cat Fountain Video Review
4. Petsafe Drinkwell 360 Water Fountain (Best for Multiple Cats)
This particular fountain with a 360- degree design is ideal if you own multiple cats and have trouble keeping your cat’s water bowls filled. It has a large (128 ounce) holding capacity and up to 5 adjustable streams. It features a two-stage filter design to ensure that your cat’s water stays fresh, clean and odor free.
The ability to adjust the water flow (adjustable flow control), you can customize your fountain to produce a certain number of streams as well as the rate they flow. Its unique design lets your cat drink from the basin or directly from the stream depending on its preference.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Made of stainless steel making it safe and hygienic.
- 360-degree design allows multiple cats to drink at once.
- It contains a 1-5 falling changeable streams.
- It may be too large for a single cat home.
The fountain may be too loud due to the free-falling water and a tall center.
How Petsafe Drinkwell 360 dogs and cats water fountain Works (Video)
Despite the fact that it is made from plastic rather than hygienic stainless steel or ceramic, this fountain is still famous due to the adjustable flow control and free falling water appeal.
The fountain gives your cat 168 ounces of fresh, filtered drinking water. The built-in reservoir increases its holding capacity and. It also contains a snap- on reservoir lid and rubber feet on the bottom of the fountain to prevent sliding and tipping
Features of Petsafe Fountain Platinum Pet Fountain
- It holds 1.3 gallons.
- For indoor use only.
- It is a low voltage system (12v) complete with cord tuck and inline disconnect for easy plug removal.
- For dogs and cats of all sizes.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- It has adjustable flow control.
- The activated charcoal filter keeps water fresh, clean and, removes odor and lousy taste giving your cat the best way to stay hydrated.
- The receiving ramp manages the sound of the falling water as well as prevent spillage.
- The pre-filter feature ensures that hair and debris do not make their way to the pump.
- It contains a submersible pump for nearly silent operation.
- Cleaning the fountain can be tedious.
- It is less hygienic because it is made of plastic rather than stainless steel or ceramic.
- You may need to hold it upright when refilling since the top of the reservoir.
Keeping your cat hydrated should be a priority for every parent.
However, cats do not have a natural urge for water, and this means you have to go out of the way to make sure that your cat drinks some water.
Put water in a bowl may not help much, because cats hate stagnant water. The best solution is to provide an alternative water source with free-flowing water.
That means you either allow her to drink from your kitchen sink (which is a bad habit) or get her a water fountain that mimics the kitchen tap water. The later is what I recommend since it has worked for me.